Sunday, January 6, 2008

Running Foolishness

It all started when I decided to try to get ready for a marathon a little over a year ago. I was talking to a friend up at school who has a real passion for running crazy distances, like 100 miles. I got him talking about his runs every chance I could get, it was incredibly fascinating for me. He suggested I try a 50k that he and his wife were going to do down in Goblin Valley in October. He said that I would probably do fine in it, given the mileage I was already putting in for the marathon thing. Well, I finished it and have done several others since. I'm still planning on doing a road marathon but I'm all about getting out on the trails these days. The ultra crowd consists of some of the greatest people. Each run ends up being a very different and distinct adventure. I would almost call it an addiction; of course my wife has no problem calling it an addiction. She's incredibly supportive. I hit incredible lows as well as highs with each long run. I ask myself why I do it when I'm hurting, but then I'm already excited for the next race just minutes after coming across the finish line. I'm looking forward to doing several more races this year. I'm shooting for the Bear 100, back in my old stomping grounds in September, we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for telling me about your blog site! I too enjoy reading up on people. I do have to say - Jon you are an animal! Doing those races is pretty amazing. Lori - When are you going to join him? I loved seeing the Spudman pictures - did you get in this year?

Chy said...

UHHHH... Crazy crackers thats all I have to say!